Water and Drugs
March 8, 2013
- Humans are about 60% water, about 10 gallons.
- Oxygen is red, hydrogen is white.
- Two hydrogens attached to one oxygen, H2O.
- Molecules bounce around frantically in liquid water
but are still in frozen water.
- Water holds together because the hydrogen of one
water molecule is attracted to the oxygen of another water.
Cannabis Active Ingredient, Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- The active ingredient in marijuana, Tetrahydrocannabinol,
pronounce with stress on the "nab".
- Carbons, two oxygens and hydrogen, 3 rings.
Protein - Cannabinoid Receptor
- THC sticks to a protein on the surface of brain cells
called the cannabinoid receptor.
- The protein is partly inside and partly outside the cell.
THC binds on the outside and sends a signal inside.
- Changes the signaling of brain cells.
- DNA is the instructions for building all living things.
- The alphabet is four different chemicals.
- Color bases with "nuc ndbcolor #0".
HIV Reverse Transcriptase with Nevirapine inhibitor
- RT is blue and green.
- DNA is red and yellow.
- HIV copies its own genome into DNA using this molecule and puts
it into your chromosomes.
- Inhibitors of this HIV molecule are part of standard HIV medication.
- Run script hiv_rt.cmd to move nevirapine to binding site.
White Blood Cell in Motion
- Play stereo movie using Bino.
- White blood cells move out of blood and crawl through tissue to
eat invading bacteria and cells infected with viruses like HIV.