[Chimera-users] Chimera user advice

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Mon Feb 12 10:01:38 PST 2018

Hello Wil,
If you just mean that you don’t know how to specify or select individual residues, there are many ways…. some are outlined in this recent post:

Command “color red :258.A” would color residue 258 in chain A red, for example.

Also, if you are showing the sequence, another way to select a specific residue is by using the mouse to drag a box around it in the sequence.

If you have a sequence alignment already, it is easy to show the conservation from that alignment on the structure.  This tutorial is all about mapping sequence conservation:

If you never showed sequence alignments in Chimera before, this tutorial helps get you started, and it also has a color-by-conservation example at the end:

I hope this helps,
Elaine C. Meng, Ph.D.
UCSF Chimera(X) team
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry